Thank you for your interest in admission to Follow the Child Montessori School.
Our 2023-24 admissions application will open on September 1, 2022. Our application deadline for first-round consideration is January 15, 2023. Applications received after the priority application deadline will be reviewed as spaces become available.
We will continue to accept applications for the 2022-23 school year as we sometimes have spots open later in the summer or during the school year, but the majority of our enrollment offers are extended in late winter for the following fall, after re-enrollment of current students.
If you are interested in admission, your first step is to fill out our online inquiry form and register for a tour. Next, you will submit an application on behalf of each child you would like considered for admission. Following application submission, we will reach out to you about next steps.
Follow the Child Montessori School, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender/gender identity, age, family structure, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies or other school-administered programs.
CRITERIA & STANDARDS FOR ADMISSIONS
- Priority is given to siblings of children already enrolled (our sibling priority application deadline is November 15) and children of current staff members
- Priority is given to students with prior Montessori experience
- Potential for success in our Montessori environments
- Fit within the existing classroom community
- Indication of parent-school partnership and support of the Montessori principles
In order for an application to be considered, we require the following:
- At least one parent must have attended a virtual or in-person tour
- Completed Application submitted through the Follow the Child Montessori School Parent Portal
- Application Fee ($100, we offer application fee-waivers for families for whom paying the application fee would present a financial hardship. Please reach out to Alecia Mahato, Director of Enrollment Management, to request an application fee-waiver).
- Student-Teacher Meeting (required for children who will be 18 months or older in August 2022)
- Parents-only Head of School meeting
- Teacher recommendation (required for extended day/kindergarten applicants and all elementary applicants)
- Student Records (required for all students who attended school prior to FCM)
- Work Samples (required for extended day/kindergarten applicants and all elementary applicants)
- Written Assessment (required for all Upper Elementary applicants)
Most people begin their school research by visiting schools. We are currently offering both virtual and in-person campus visits. You can register for both virtual and in-person campus visits here. Our campus visits include a short information session with our Director of Enrollment Management, a tour of our campus, and classroom observation time at each level (Toddler House, Children’s House, Lower Elementary, and Upper Elementary). Campus visits are for adults only – we try to have as little disruptions during our students’ days as possible, and other children are just too intriguing for our students to ignore.
After attending a campus visit, if you feel FCM may be a good fit for your child and family, you may submit an application through the Follow the Child Montessori School Parent Portal.
STUDENT – TEACHER MEETING
Once we receive your application and fee, we will contact you to arrange a time for your child to meet with one of our teachers. This is a time for our teachers to get to know your child and to work with him or her. Student-teacher meetings last about 30 minutes. Student-Teacher meetings are required for children whose age at the time of enrollment is 18 months or older.
It is not necessary for both parents to attend. For prospective Toddler House students, a parent will accompany the child in the classroom for the student-teacher meeting. We will offer student-teacher meetings at various times throughout the fall and winter and after you submit your application, you can register for student – teacher meetings through the Follow the Child Montessori School Parent Portal.
HEAD OF SCHOOL MEETING
As part of the admission process, we arrange a meeting between parents and our Head of School, Rebecca McGrail. We ask that you make other arrangements for your child during this meeting. This is a time to get to know one another and an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have about Montessori or our school. These group meetings usually last about one hour. Head of School Meetings will also be available at various times throughout the fall and winter and after you submit your application, you can register for this meeting through the Follow the Child Montessori School Parent Portal.
ENROLLMENT CONTRACT & DEPOSIT
If the admissions committee finds that an applicant is a good fit for the space available in a particular classroom, an offer of enrollment will be extended. You will be notified by email with a contract. Upon receiving the contract, you have 10 days to respond and accept or decline the position for your child. To accept, you must sign and submit the Enrollment Contract along with payment of the tuition deposit (10%) and New Family Fee ($1,500) if applicable. The deposit and New Family Fee are non-refundable. The deposit is applied toward tuition. New families will be notified between mid-February and early-March.
We consider the child’s personality, age ratios, and the composition of the existing classes to determine which class will be the best fit for each child.